Sunday, August 9, 2009

Jaws of Death- Lizard vs. Snake

Over the years we've seen some amazing things on our ranch. I've seen a pair of rattlesnakes rear up, weave back and forth, and then entwine with each other and roll around on the ground (never did find out if they were fighting or mating). I've come across two bobcats so intent on staring each other down they literally wouldn't move out of the road. I've had an enormous sycamore crash down just in front of me--- and an angry mob of hornets emerge from that tree and sting the hell out of me. My wife has awakened with a big ol' tarantula next to her on the headboard.

This one was much less dramatic, but kinda cool. Evidently a California Whipsnake had tried to make lunch of an Alligator Lizard, and the lizard turned the tables. I found them locked in stock-still combat in my driveway. The snake was starting to fade out, and the lizard was hanging on like a pit bull.

For the record, I rescued the snake. And although it was pretty chewed up in that one spot, it eventually revived enough to slither under a woodpile. The lizard did its best to threaten me with mouth agape, but eventually he wiggled away too.

Here's the picture I shot before I broke up the death match.

No comments:

Post a Comment